Lima Bean-Rosemary Soup With Roasted 5-Spice Escarole
- Soup: Follow package directions to rinse and soak lima beans overnight. Drain then rinse again.
- In a large stock pot, saute onion and garlic in butter until golden brown around the edges, and then season with a little salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Add water and bring to a full boil. Add beans, rosemary sprigs (not minced rosemary), and bay leaf then reduce heat. Simmer for an hour and a half, stirring occasionally. You may need to add more liquid during cooking. The beans will be very tender when cooked through.
- Add 3 tsp salt, or more, when the beans are done cooking. Taste and season, adding more salt and pepper if needed. Remove from heat. Discard all rosemary stems.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender, * leaving it a little chunky. Add minced rosemary after blending.
- In a saute pan, brown kielbasa on both sides, and then add to soup. Stir, and leave on low until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a large cookie sheet pan with parchment paper. Thoroughly wash escarole, and cut tough stems from leaves. Pat dry with paper towels.
Optional: Return escarole to refrigerator for 20 minutes to crisp again. Lay out leaves on lined pan, then drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and Five Spice powder. Roast until browned and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes, turning once. Place escarole on top of soup, and drizzle with additional olive oil. Serve hot.
*You can also puree the soup in a regular blender. Work in batches using a towel to hold the lid securely.